Road Trip Day 7 - To Avery Island, Louisiana


Road Trip

Had an amazingly slow breakfast at the hotel, but at least I got a rubbery waffle and a one egg omelette (with no fillings) for my 45 minute wait. I also had an interesting conversation with an couple who had strong opinions about Rihanna, Scientology, Tom Cruise, and John Travolta.

Crossed the Mississippi River from Natchez into Louisiana.

Road Trip

Stopped at a very nice Louisiana State Welcome Center in Vidalia.

Road Trip

After a leisurely four hour drive, I arrived at Avery Island (via Alexandria and Lafayette).

Road Trip

Avery Island is, of course, the home of Tabasco Sauce. I stopped at a rather humorous toll house (on the right side of the road) where a friendly Cajun man passes you a pamphlet then collects your one dollar using a long stick with a clothespin at the end. After paying the toll, you cross a "bridge" about 15 feet long (which you really may not recognize as a bridge). Avery Island has two primary attractions: The factory tour consists of a brief video about the history of Tabasco Sauce, the McIlhenny family, and Avery Island. After the video, you walk through a viewing area above a bottling line in the factory, and then to a display area. Each visitor gets several free mini-bottles of Tabasco Sauce.

Road Trip

The Tabasco Country Store has a special meaning to me, because it is featured in one of my favorite slot machines. I spent a lot of time in the store looking at many Tabasco and spice themed items which I had not seen before. I made half of a meal at the free tasting bar and then ate an order of excellent Crawfish Étouffée at the picnic tables outside. I could not resist a few souvenirs from the store, including some Tabasco Earrings, Tabasco Potholders, Tabasco Refrigerator Magnets, and some Spicy Pickles. I found the Tabasco Factory tour and Country Store very enjoyable and worthwhile.

Road Trip

After all the time I spent in the store, visiting the Jungle Garden was not really an option as it was approaching 5 o'clock. I stayed at a Best Western Hotel in New Iberia which was quite nice (and only about $61 + tax using a coupon from a hotel book which I picked up at the welcome center). One interesting thing about this hotel was the notice placed prominently in the room:

Road Trip

I was quite happy that I did not receive any calls during my stay about gas leaks.